Poko


Poko as she is popularly called in the Sierra Leonean movie community, found time out of her busy schedule to grant this exclusive interview to the Editor of the Natifz Times Newspaper, Nenpan Ngwan

1. Can you briefly tell us about yourself?
My name is Thelma T. Barnett (Poko). I am a sierra leonean. I live in Freetown and a Christian. I am an actress and my mum's only child.

2. How Long have you been in the movie industry?
I have been in the industry since 2006

3. What motivated you to go into acting instead of sticking to modeling?
Well it came at a time in my life when I noticed that people were using my fame to  organize beauty pageants (I mean the organizers). They will get me to partake in pageants not knowing that the winners were already arranged and at the end of the day it was doing me more harm than good so I decided to try acting.

4. How did you start your movie career?
When I was into modeling and pageant I had friends in the movie world and they were always advising me to give it a try and when things were not working for me like they used to,  I decided to switch.

5. How do you combine your private life with your career?
At first it was not easy because I work, do business and also have my career to pursue. I did not even have much of a private life and when God started blessing me in acting it was too tedious for me to combine all. I hardly had time for myself so I had to quit my job and concentrate on my career and business. I only have time for myself, friends and family.

6. You made mention of having a business. Can you tell us the type of business you're into?
I have two shops at 'Spur road' in Freetown. One used to be a restaurant and the the other is a general merchandise. The restaurant is closed at the moment and I'm also into electronics (phones, plasma's, sets,DVDs) which I normally give on credit. People usually order for what they want and I get them and give them out on loans  and the creditors pay them out monthly

7. When you started your career you were a student. How were you able to combine school, modeling and later acting?
When I was a student it wasn't much of a problem because my schedules for modeling were mostly on weekends and by then I  was not into acting.

8. Do you intend to go into modeling again?
(Laugh) I love modeling and I wish I could go into it again but then I have gained weight a bit. If at all I happen to go into modeling again I will love to model  outside my country to get new experience.

9. What did you study? Did you go into acting for passion or for some other reasons?
I first started with business studies at Milton Margai College of education where I did my certificate  course. I then went to Travel and Tourism college where I had my diploma. I went into acting because  of the passion for it. Its not like we're making much money because we're still trying to build a firm industry so therefore there are  lots of sacrifices one needs to make.

10. What movie brought you to limelight?
"REFUGEES" is the movie that brought me to this stage. It's a movie that explains what we went through in Sierra leone during the rebel war. It's a kind of movie that will never fade away. I have the believe that it will pass on to other  generations therefore enlighten those  who knew nothing about what we went through as a nation. I can say it's the biggest movie we have ever done if memory serves me right.

11. Have you featured in any international movie yet?
There are movies we did that were taken to Nigeria to feature some stars.

12. Where do you see yourself in five years?
By the grace of God in whom I put my hope and trust, in five years my vision is to become an international star doing more collaborations in different  parts of the world just like I have started in Guinea, Liberia and Nigeria. I am hoping to start producing my own movies and also to try concentrating on the girl child foundation that am working on to fight against Teenage pregnancy in our beloved country.

13. Can you tell us more about the 'Girl Child Foundation' you have?
Like I said  I'm planning on launching it early next year by God's grace. At the moment I'm working with my dad who is a bishop and also has an orphanage.

14. What is your advice to other young people looking up to you?
Pursue your dreams even when it seems difficult along  the line. You will come across a lot of obstacles but don't let them weigh you down.  Get a good educational background and then  pursue your dreams and try to be independent.

An interview with Nenpan Ngwan



























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BROOKE Da BRAND

Spice up your Spouse

The Young Female Carpenter