The Young Female Carpenter


Once upon a time in the Republic of Sierra Leone there was a parliamentarian of the independence era, Madam Ella Koblo Gulama https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztUXY_IYT0U&t=610s, who was the only female parliamentarian as at the 27 of April, 1961. It is a fact that the promising republic had a woman representing her constituency, a privilege women did not enjoy in other countries seeking independence or had obtained independence. History favours the postulation where the effort of women has brought about great stride in bringing societies to where we have it now, history has also provided sufficient facts where women have brought about the development and progress of the society.  This is a candid interview with an inspired and promising young female entrepreneur in Freetown, Zainab Kargbo, who shared her busy schedule from making beds for her customers to seat down for this frank interview with our correspondence, Na’anzem.

Zainab Kargbo


Zainab with many other budding talented young Africans strives to bring about the change and development needed within their immediate communities. In Zainab Kargbo’s own words, “I’m from Tombo village, Sierra Leone, West Africa” the interview continues below.

What is unique about where you come from?
Where I come from encourage young people to work hard for them to be successful.

What are the challenges in your area?
The location is too far from where I buy my materials.

What is your principle in life?
I hate lazy people. I love to meet my dateline and supply my customers within time.

What do you do for a living?
I’m a Carpenter. Even though I am graduate of the Institute of Public Administration and management (IPAM) in Freetown, I got my B.Sc in Management. I also choose to be a Carpenter because there is no job. I can’t wait for the government to provide job for me anymore.


Zainab Kargbo cutting a piece of wood

How long did it take you to learn Carpentry?
It took me one month to learn this skill.

How long have you been doing it since you completed training?
Two (2) years now.

What are the challenges you encounter and how is the patronage?
I don’t have the proper tools to make my job simple and I'm also in need of a showroom. I have been receiving customers especially ladies.

Why are you not like other girls that wear skimpy dresses and taking pictures of their exposed bodies?
Being a woman is not a curse. I want to change the way people think of we women, that we should be dependent on men only. It is high time we start to be useful to the society, especially for Africa women.

What is your projection from here, that is the job you are presently doing?
At Zedkay Woodwork https://web.facebook.com/Zedkay-Woodworks-106240917634347/, our main future plan is to secure a safe space, by way of entrepreneurial training where different types of skill, jobs are available for the vulnerable girls and job seekers to empower themselves through those jobs.



Any word of advice to the youths out there waiting for the government to give them jobs?
My advice to them is simple, let them identify their talents and make use of it. The government will not provide jobs for all graduate, so if you are unfortunate to secure a job just go into entrepreneurship and be an employer instead of an employee. By doing so, we can provide job for others.



Stories like this abound all over the world. It is interesting and uplifting to find a woman, the housekeeper, unashamed to put her hands to good use and keep her house warm and her family fed rather than go about begging.

Around the world we see women tilling the land and crop tending, this is not because the population of women overwhelm that of men, rather it is because women are naturally created to care for a larger population. The forgiving spirit, prayers, understanding and entrepreneurial nature of women has practically kept the world sane and developed. We hope you enjoyed this piece and urge you to connect and encourage Zainab on the link, immediately, above.

Zainab Kargbo's interview by Na'anzem of Natifz Times

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BROOKE Da BRAND

Spice up your Spouse